Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM
ragamuffin

I have been buying up old, some with holes, some with spots, linen and embroidery. I have cut the large, maybe 5" hexagons out of good white fabric and I will put the white and off-white lace and embroidery on them, finish each hexagon with beads, more embroidery, etc. and then when I get them done, or as I go, I will put them together. I think I may do about 4 wall hangings, perhaps one in blue, one in pink, whatever. Somewhere I saw this done. Perhaps on pinterest. For Mother's and Grandmother's hankies, I have purchased at a yard sale, a frame about 12" wide and 30" long. Each hankie will be folded and hand tacked to the background fabric, each spread about 2" down the length. I saw it done and it was beautiful. I, too, have washed and soaked linens and laces and I find dawn dishwashing liquid is about as good as anything else. And I have them all here. Some take 2 days to have the spots disappear. I heard that the museums use a soap to wash horses for show at the fairs called Orvis. I see a few quilt shops are carrying enough for one wash. It may take 2-3 days but I have not used it yet. At the tack shop for barn animals and horses, I bought a gallon for $26. This was to be my 2019 winter project but I have fallen 3 times and now I am in therapy for balance as well as severe lower back pain. Go for it, enjoy the journey.