View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 AM
maviskw

I started out making clothes for myself when I was about 13 years old. Then I sewed for family and friends. Next I sewed for the children. When I moved into this house in 1986, I had a bushel basket full of fabric pieces left from my sewing. I wanted to use it up and be rid of it, so I bought a book called "Fabric Lover's Scrapbook" by Margaret Dittman. I made some Seminole Strips, then used them in a Square Dance skirt (which I still wear). Then our homemakers club was making quilts for people in our area who had had a house fire. We made quilts together and had a stock pile of about four or five at a time. Some were donated for benefits, too.

From then on, I have been still trying to pare down the fabric I have in my house, but have gotten nowhere with that. It just keeps on getting bigger. I don't really have a huge stash compared to some, but I have plenty.

My latest project is for my 6'8" grandson. I'm making a scrap quilt for his bed, which is extra large. I start with two of my tiniest pieces of fabric (less than 1 square inch), find a straight side and sew that together. Create a straight side with those and add another small piece on that side. I keep adding until I get an 8.5 in square. My cornerstones are 2.5 inches and have at least 3 pieces each. Many have 4 or 5 pieces and some have 7 or 8. It is so much fun making these little things.

My kids know what to do with my stuff but I need to keep on sorting it and bagging it up to keep started things in one pile with the fabric that goes with it. I haven't tried to count the number of things I have started, but have many. I've been making more charity quilts lately, in which I use up fabrics I just want to get rid of. With eight children with spouses, 21 grandchildren and 4 great grands (+1), I have plenty of places for lots of quilts.

Now I have to stop spending so much time on the Quilting Board and start sewing.