View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM
rryder

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Rob, so do you and DH stay right beside your decluttering team each day for 6 hours, telling them what to keep/not keep? That sounds exhausting. Liberating, but exhausting. Or, will they take a couple hours just emptying room and then you join them in the sorting process? Will you each be working with 2 on the team, tackling a certain area, or both together with the 4-person team? I'm curious how the logisitics work and how you stay focused. I am mentally good for 1.5 -2 hours at a time, and then I start feeling cranky, tired, and have a tendency to just want to either make tidy piles (rather than purge) or feel careless (Just throw it all away!). LOL
Zozee- the plan was for them to empty the room(s) and sort like with like, then we look through and decide what to keep, donate and toss. Then they help us put everything back. We were supposed to start that process tomorrow, but had to postpone (to late July or maybe August) because life (and the death of a dear old friend) got in the way.

I've been slowly implementing some of the suggestions they made in the plan they sent to us after our initial meeting and am liking what I see so far. Even some of the very basic organizing things they suggested have helped with the studio spaces - even though we will have to wait for help to do the more ambitious studio reorganization they suggested. But I have to admit that I was starting to have some of the same questions you asked about stamina, focus, etc. when contemplating two 6 hour days with 4 organizers-- The organizers are all considerably younger than DH and me LOL.

I've been working a little at a time on the rest of the house and have gotten the downstairs hallway, front parlor, both bathrooms and our bedroom into pretty good shape.- Using FlyLady's 15 minute declutter techniques seems to work well for me. I have also been doing her baby steps and started a quick dust/vacuum and some zone cleaning as things become more manageable. This week I'm working in the dining room - going counterclockwise around the room decluttering a specific area and cleaning it before putting things that stay back in place. I did this last week in the front room in 15 minute bursts and even though it took all week to get the room into shape, I ended up enjoying myself while doing it rather than feeling overwhelmed and exhausted when it was done. My goal is to get the dining room done by Monday of next week and then work on the tv room- that will leave only the 3 studio spaces and the upstairs hall (which is serving as a staging area for me to put things from upstairs that are donate-able).

SusieQOH-good job!

Glad to hear it's going well SarahBethie and I hope you and your daughter are feeling better now.

I hope everyone is doing well and remembering to pace themselves- it took a while to get unorganized/cluttered and will take a while to get re-organized and decluttered! Also, not everyone (myself included) wants to go the whole Marie Kondo route and that's ok, too.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-19-2019 at 08:23 AM.