View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 04:31 AM
Iceblossom

Quite the score! What fun to go through. There are times when I come across things I just can't pass up and of course, I'm more than willing to share. That's the thing with buys like this, someone (like us!) is going to come along and pick up the stuff if we hesitate. Although I could probably make a pretty good living re-selling stuff I get, I don't actually do that. LOL, I had collected hundreds of yards of vintage fabric planning to sell them on ebay, but never did. Finally sold them at wholesale price to a person who not only sells on ebay but who sells vintage fabric at quilt shows etc.

I get most of my fabric any more from thrift stores and estate and similar sales. Honestly, I get most of my stuff from the thrift stores now even when I can afford the full purchase price, I rather enjoy the hunt... It's funny you use the phrase about "calling your name", I use that and I swear sometimes the stores call me. One time I got this message to "go to XX goodwill" in my head. I went and on my list at that time was a metal Post Office box to replace the plastic one I had. There it was, at the goodwill, perfect condition and had my house number already on it! My exact 4 digit house number!!

Sewing related, it was years ago but I got not one but two Singer 301s for less than $20 each at the Goodwill. One I kept, one I sent to a friend who just started going to classes and needed something lighter. The 301 has become more popular and the pricers at the Goodwill know that and it won't happen again!

In the last year I got a hand-pieced top of tiny hexagons Grandmother's Flower Garden for 6.00. One bag of scraps I picked up was so thrilling for me (it was all very top-of-the-line fabrics) I posted a pic here on the board! Although I've joined the Fabric Moratorium this year for new fabric, I have given myself an exemption for thrift store fabric. Last year through Craig's List I bought 50 pounds of smallish pieces from a quilter's estate sale (not scraps exactly, mostly larger than fat quarters but smaller than 2-3 yards), my last big purchase. I think I spent $2 a pound. A lot of that has been shared.

One of my best scores though was a couple of years ago and involved my dishes, Yorktowne by Pfaltzgraff. Someone had cleared out their china cabinet and had all sorts of serving dishes I didn't have... cake stands and baking dishes and on and one. I bought $60 worth of dishes at one time, and then had to go out and buy a hutch to put them in. Hutch I got from Craig's List.