View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Tothill

I only dream about possibilities.

I have two ongoing dreams. The first is to gut and renovate my basement. It is about 800 sqf and has a bathroom and laundry room. Currently it is divided up into 4 rooms plus the bathroom. Each room has a different type of wood paneling. If wishes were fishes, I would remove all the paneling, insulate, replace the windows (they are old single pane), upgrade the electrical and lighting.

I would combine the two rooms on the North end of the basement, there is a load bearing wall, so some engineering would be needed. I would add a wall of built in cabinets to the interior wall. This would give me room for my books and fabric. The long arm would stay in current location.

The sew larger sewing room and laundry would be painted a very pale buttery yellow, the other room currently is the family room and it will be redecorated with a wine theme. The closet (only one currently in the basement) is large, but under stairs. It will be insulated and given climate control and become my wine cellar. I will have this space outfitted with a wine cooler, comfortable seating and a table for wine tastings.

Now I know that should be more than enough, but since I am going with the premise that I would have unlimited funds here is the second dream. Completely unattainable at this time.

In the next 10 years, build a new home where the cottage is. I have pretty much decided on the house plan. It is open concept, with two bedrooms on the main floor and a large loft/bunk room above. Big decks to take in the view. Where you ask is the sewing room? I would have a free standing studio on the hill behind. It would be about 20x30 (have to meet local bylaws of max 600 sqf. There would be a small bathroom with a shower, kitchenette and a large closet on the back side, the front would be a wide open space with lots of windows (I will risk fabric fading, I love lots of light). My long arm and supplies will be towards one end and the other will have my sewing machines. There will be interior seating for hand work, a huge cutting table on castors and an ironing station. A covered deck will run the length of the studio and will have more seating, hanging baskets and climbing vines.

Things I want in both spaces, comfortable flooring. I do not like carpets, so a floor with give is important. Lots of light, natural if possible, otherwise light from a variety of sources, except fluorescent. I know many love it, but I get migraines from the flicker. Windows, the bigger the better. I realize this limits wall space, for upright storage, but I need light, and if I build at the cottage, I will have a wonderful view. Pale, but not white walls. My current sewing space is a very pale buttery yellow and I love it. It is warm, does not distort fabric colours and reminds me of sunshine. Loads of outlets and lots of breakers. The current cottage only has 30 amp service and the original outlets do not have grounds.

Flexible furniture, preferably on castors. Room for art. I have an eclectic taste in art and I need room to display beautiful things.

Lastly, I need room for another person in my space. I would love to have room for a friend to join me.