Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Iceblossom

I love fabric, simply love it all. If I had more space or more money I'd probably be up to my neck in fabric, but about 7-10 years ago I got the diagnosis that I have progressive vision loss and the likelihood is high that my vision will go out before my fabric does. Since I live in a small house packed full of stuff and since I no longer work I no longer have the expendable budget I once have, space and budget are real concerns for me.

So I made the decision to start reducing my stash and I've reduced it probably by about half even though I am still bringing some fabric home. I have some projects planned just because they will use up part of some large collections of fabric and once made I will feel better about reducing that out of my stash.

My husband understands the joy I get out of my fabric and if something happens to me he knows how to contact "the quilt ladies". Fortunately for me, I buy very little new and mostly buy yardage at thrift stores so the cost isn't anywhere close to retail. Like I bought some bags this weekend, mostly 80s stuff but about 10 yards in a bag for about $3.99. Lot easier to justify at that price than $100.

Anyway, my plan for my stash is to use up/give away as much as possible in the next 5 years -- especially using the fabrics I've saved for "some day" because today is that day! I sew some most days. Some projects are for me/family but most are destined to be donations. I need to find a better way for quilting down my projects or at least sandwiching them together than I currently have. I love to piece, I'm not so fond of the quilting...