Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 AM
quiltingcandy

A friend of mine is currently living in an assisted living facility for the mentally impaired. She hasn't been able to take care of herself for about 3 years now and has been unable to knit or sew for even longer. Her DH passed away a year ago and so her daughter is slowly cleaning out their house. My friend was just shy of being a hoarder. Her daughter has given me most of the items she finds that has anything to do with sewing - including her Pffaff sewing machine. I took it to 2 different repair shops and the estimate was over $600 to repair so I gave it to one for parts. I knew it was a treasure to her but I already have 5 machines that do work and do not have that kind of money for a 6th one. Her daughter didn't want it back because no one in the family sews.
My daughters don't sew, in fact no one in my family sews except my sister that lives 1300 miles away. People used to sew because it was a way to save money and it was a necessity for mending. But now it's expensive and truly a luxury because you can buy clothes for less than the price of a pattern and fabric - not including zippers, thread, and buttons. You can buy bags for less than the fabric.
I am not going to worry about what happens after I am gone. The family will do what they want with it. They know the value because they were there when I bought most of it - they have even bought a lot of it for me. We do what we need to do when it's time and I don't want to make requests of others they may not be able to do.