Thread: Donating Fabric
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Cheri_J

Default Donating Fabric

"It's not considered hoarding if you have a place to store your stash."

Well, I think I may be a hoarder. I have been collecting fabric since the early 70s. I even still have a yard or so of the first fabric I ever bought. I'm always telling myself that I'm going to use up my stash before I buy another yard....yeah right. Like that ever happens.

So here's my summer plan. I am going to de-stash. Yes, I am committed (maybe I should be committed!) to this plan. I've already started washing and ironing the fabric that is going into the de-stash boxes. I am going to reduce my stash by over 75%. That is the goal.

Now, here's my dilemma. I figure I will have over 100 yards of fabric (maybe even closer to 150) when I'm done. I don't want to ship it anywhere. I don't want to sell it. I would love to give it to a charity in the twin cities area that will use the fabric for the greater good, not for profit. The fabric is good quality, it's just a bit dated. At this time, it's cotton quilting fabric, but there a few bins in the back of my basement and I have no idea what's in them. LOL. They are actually marked "fabric I like but don't know what to do with."

I've looked at various charities online and they want already made projects or money. Or they are too far away to give them the fabric. I looked at the quilting guilds around the cities, but the descriptions of what they do are pretty vague. Do all quilting guilds make projects for charitable causes?

Please, if you know of a worthwhile charity in the Twin Cities area, can you point me in that direction? If I know who I'm giving it too and what they do, I can use that to motivate me to get this project done!

Thank you everyone!!

Cheri