Thread: Adult Bibs
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 06:54 AM
klswift

I make them (I call them dignity bibs). I make them with the 'flaps' about 17" long so they drape over the shoulders. I started making them for my mom when she was in a nursing home and they were easier than the ones that hook behind the neck. I line them in flannel so they 'stick' to the shirt and don't move. I basically do a half yard width of fabric with the neck hole starting at about 18". So they look like a giant U shape. Bib = 18"x 18" Straps = 23"x 4" (shoulder is at about 6" up from neckline). I had a special request for some XXXL men's bibs and simply increased the width to 20" and the length to 21" and instead of curving all the corners, I made them a bit angular (thought it looked a bit more masculine). I sell quite a few of them in the shoppe and tell folks to carry it in their purse in a ziploc bag. That way when they user gets them all messy at the restaurant, you have something to carry it home in! Sewing is basic - all the way around, leaving opening on side, turn and topstitch. On the XXXL ones, I added a stitch right down the center front for stability.