View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 01:23 AM
themadpatter

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
The glue stick pen was recommended for basting the 1" hexies in a Grandmother's Flower Garden class I just took. Mkotch said the paper came out easily. I tested one and could barely get it out. The instructor said that when the glued "dried" it would be easier. Was that anyone else's experience?
I used freezer paper to do my hexies and it worked great. Put it on the back of the fabric with the shiny side up, then you can iron the edges of the fabric and it will stick to the freezer paper. It comes off really easy, too. I found that the gle stick sticks the paper down too much. I'm using it on the curved pieces of the quilt I'm currently making called Dogwood Blossoms. It's one of the Kansas City Star Newspaper patterns from the 50's. There's a picture of it in this post: I made "Name This Pattern"!!

Yes, I have used a glue stick to baste a quilt, and it worked just fine. You can't rub it on the batting, of course so you have to put the batting on the back, then I put the front face down and flip half of it back and rub on the glue stick. smooth the back and batting layer down onto the face and then do the other half. you do have to iron it to get good adhesion from the glue stick, however. I did a king sized one and I think it took 4 sticks. Maybe less.

The glue turns purple again when it gets wet. Just an FYI, because it freaked me out when it happened to me the first time.