View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Iceblossom

I have vision issues and can't see ruler marks so well. For a long time my technique was to cut big and trim down, and I still use that a lot.

Over the last couple of years I have moved to what I used to dismiss as a "fabric wasteful" technique but it's not so bad for smaller triangles (say under 2.5"). Now I use the method where you take a square and draw a diagonal line down the middle that you sew on, then you hand cut of the excess (or blade cut it, but I usually trim and separate the sewn chain at the same time as I stand at the ironing board) and throw it away.

Edit: And the squares are easier to manage under the needle without fumble fingering them Some people are good with their eyes and don't draw lines, others will put a marker on their machine, I find I just draw the line as I cut and it goes lickety split!

For measurements you simply take the square measurement, so if you wanted a 2" finished HST you would start with your usual .5" for seam allowance -- and end there! (that would be cut at 2.5"). Math is easier, you can adjust for any sizes in the pattern, no seeing those little hatch lines on the rulers. For me it is more precise and faster. The amount thrown away is negligible in a small square and I figure pretty comparable to the cut large amount plus unused fabric due to size.

I still use the technique for larger squares just for the speed and precision, but then I usually go ahead and make a separate scrap HST out of the smaller left-over piece. For example, I made a Mayflower quilt (like winding ways but without the curve and the same background) and then a Broken Dishes out of the scraps of that, but that was large, like 4.5 or 5" cut.
Attached Thumbnails mayflower.jpg   broken-dishes.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-04-2019 at 06:56 AM.