Old 07-06-2019, 03:19 PM
peaceandjoy

I am not emotionally connected to most things. Exceptions - quilting things and some things from when our girls were little. People and memories carry my emotions, not things. I have no problem getting rid of most things, and have been doing a lot of it over the last 2 years. I retired and started with my clothes. No need for many dress clothes now, only for an occasional dinner out or special occasion. I don't like knickknacks. We remodeled our kitchen/bathroom/laundry room, and a lot of things that were rarely, if ever, used have been donated. Most of my donations go to Salvation Army as it is convenient. I have a large box that I drop things in and take when I am in the area.

DH, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. While one daughter was here and going through things that are hers, she came upon an acrylic rug that her grandmother made. It's the type that has precut acrylic yarn, not wool. Not terribly cute in its best days, it has a hole in it where several of the loops came out. Into the trash it went. DH pulled it out. When I asked him about it, he said he would put it in the garbage. Nope, I found it again, moved to a different spot in the garage. It'll never be used - but his mother made it, so it has to be kept. The garage (including rafters), shed and basement are full of "stuff", much of which I call junk. Some he feels attached to, or was given to him (shirts in boxes that are not his taste - still in the box), or it might be useful someday (scraps of wood, etc.).

The remodel we did on the house is way beyond what we (or our children) will ever get out of the house, due to the location and other issues with the house. He was willing to spend the money because he simply cannot move.

It is what it is. I'm not going to change him. People are all different with different comfort levels. I just feel bad for our daughters, who will end up dealing with it.