Old 07-07-2019, 06:26 AM
Iceblossom

I have had great success with watching Wanted ads on Craig's List.

I also place free ads, most times the items are done as a "loot and scoot" where they are out but protected by weather and the person comes by at their convenience and we don't always meet. Sometimes I take the items to them, it all depends.

I've given away fabric, non-working sewing machines (they were close to working, not parts just ones I hadn't fixed yet), craft supplies, furniture, dishes, food, pet food... all sorts of things.

The reality of a lot of the little knickknacks and such is that pretty much no one wants them. Anything that comes in a fancy box specific to that item, well the world is full of useless little boxes that were too good to throw away. So in that sort of circumstance I ask myself how much stuff am I willing to hold onto? Then I find an appropriate sized box and I allow myself to keep what fits in it. And the rest of it is designated as "I don't want it as much as I want that".

Keep the things you love, don't distract yourself with the things you don't and just want or might be good for some day or whatever. If that some day comes and you don't have what it was, well chances are the thrift store will have something that works.

It's an on-going process for me. Part of my ever changing life style, but at this point I recognize that I have too much stuff and ultimately it is too much stuff that I don't want. I have enough room for the stuff I want. But if I want to bring something into the house, well something else has to go...