View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 PM
JanetM

Originally Posted by LoriJ
Ok, I have a question for all you embroidery experts out there. What kind of stabilizer would I use with this? It's 100% rayon, texture and drape mimics pashima silk. If possible, I'd like to have a double sided design on the ends. Theorys, suggestions??
If I were embroidering this rayon I would:

Hoop water soluble stabilizer
Spray the back of the rayon with adhesive spray ( I use KK2000)
Adhere the rayon to the stabilizer
Baste in the hoop (if your machine has this feature)
Stitch out your design using rayon thread
Unhoop your finished project
Carefully cut away (don't tear) the excess stabilizer
Soak your project, change the water, soak again until all of the stabilizer is gone. Lay flat to dry.

Because your fabric is real drapy, choose an open design (nothing dense, avoid designs that have satin stitching if possible) so that you don't lose that drapability.
You can stitch out reversible designs by having bobbins wound with the same thread as the top thread. You'll need to change your bobbin thread each time you change your top thread.
Caution: Some designs stitch out well front and back with this technique but some don't. It all depends on how they were digitized so ALWAYS do a test on scrap fabric first.

If you are going for an elegant look limit the number of colors in your design. Designs (ie. flower/leaves) really look high end when stitched all in one color.
PM me if you have any questions okay? I'm no expert but I have done quite a bit of embroidery. :D :D :D

To answer Craftybear, I have the Husqvarna Designer SE :thumbup: :thumbup: