Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Onebyone
Power Poster

I use to work for Salvation Army and was manager in two of the stores in Southern CA. The items that are donated to the store are picked up by the SA truck except large items like furniture. Once a week a SA truck will bring clean, pre priced clothing to the store. All clothing are put through a steam clean and hung on hangers at the distribution center. All other items are not pre priced as each store has different customer bases. A store employee prices them according to how they will sell. This was two very big SA stores in CA so the smaller ones may not be ran the same but I do know every penny made in the stores goes to helping those in need. It's like a big Church having a thrift shop, the goal is to help. And the manger has the right to refuse all store donations if the items are dirty, ragged, stinky, or not working. Thrift stores are not dumping grounds. Some got very upset when I refused furniture that I wouldn't have in my house much less sell to someone else. Many times I would come to work and the front door would be piled with junk someone 'donated'. The store had to pay dumpster fees and we had no way of getting rid of the stuff but put in dumpster. I really liked working for SA. The stores were big and clean, like a department store. I got a little more then min wage back then and the people were so nice to work with.