Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM
ByThePiece

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Looks like they've moved us to personal diaries, which seems to ignore the fact that I was using litter to stuff pincushions and got the wrong kind and I was trying to let people know there are two kinds and not to make the same mistake I made.

But since we're here, Susie, I have to share what works really well for our cats: I saw an enclosed litter pan with the opening on the top in a video with a bunch of cats doing tricks. Obviously these people are dealing with several cats and even going on the road with them, so they know what's what in litter pans. However, I found the commercially available pans like that to be quite costly and rather small, and one of my cats is big. So I went out and got a Sterilite bin that was big enough and cut a hole in the top about the same size as the hole in the front of the old litter pan, 8". This has been great for keeping everything off the floor. I'm not sure it's a good idea to make a big change for an older cat, but it's been a big improvement over all earlier litter pans.
I have to put in my 2¢ about cats and cat litter. I remember when "Clumping Cat Litter" first came out, it was sold in plastic gallon jugs in Miami and it was about $ 8 a gallon and I loved it. First cat after lost dog to cancer was in 1980 and still learning about cats, 39 years later. I was paying 40 lbs clumping about $ 12.00. - New This is # 5.99 for 40 lbs and has the advantage that the used sawdust part can go out in the yard or compost. Watch video. They use sifting litterboxes but I just have "multi-purpose trays" from Lowe's 26 x 20 x 6, scoop out poop and replenish until once a week, dump. Saving about half the money. Love the hole in the storage box and wish someone would invent a male cat urinal. About 3 of every 10 males in my estimation don't understand not to pee on things inside. I may just have too many cats. NO, some just don't understand. And some are competitive target shooters. I think that may be why males are abandoned. Maybe a child's pool with a center post of some kind and sand or pelleted pine needles all around. It would take room but half my rescues are in a 2 car garage so there's room. Love this FORUM ♥♥♥ It's Horse Bedding from Tractor Supply. Pee turns pellets into sawdust. Poop sits on top to be scooped out.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps