View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 AM
juliasb

Over the years I have had a number of different brands. Some better than others but I did find that for most of the bell and whistles many machines have the majority are not used. Now I look for a good 1/4" needle placement, since I do a lot of quilting. I look for a number of different zig-zag setting. I also look for good feed dog settings and then a good bobbin winder with and easy access bobbin and casing that I can clean easily. I also want a metal (steel prefered) crank shaft with mimunial plastic parts. Talk about hard to find any more. I also ask what is a usual part that breaks. If the dealer can't answer that call a local certified repair person and ask. This person is also a good person to ask on how often he sees the model you are looking at in the repair shop and what the life span of that model usually is. It is not alway "you get what you pay for" with sewing machines when it comes to durability. Also asked about how often the machine should be taken in for maintenance so as not to void your warranty. (that happened to me once). IMHO the less computer parts the better. That is often one of the first major parts that go bad on newer machines. Now that I have totally scared you have fun playing and looking for a machine that will last you a lifetime.