View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Odd man out here, but I do quilt on a LA as opposed to a domestic. However, there is little difference between the two methods when it comes to marking a quilt for quilting. I have had near disaster with the golden threads. I used a pencil to draw my design on the paper and the graphite transferred to my thread and would not come out. I ended up having to rip out the quilting and redo. Now I will only mark the golden threads paper with mark be gone markers. Also, depending on how complex your design is, it can be a real bugger to remove the paper. Simple motifs like Ice Blossom pictured are not an issue but something complex, like this design, it took me longer to remove the bits of GT paper then it did to quilt this motif.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]614773[/ATTACH]
I prefer to mark the quilt using the blue water soluble markers or crayola ultra washable markers. If I can't figure out how to trace my design easily I will mark with transfer paper like saral wax free. It comes in graphite and white. I have had good luck with both but I strongly recommend testing. Here is a tute I posted:
Marking an original design on a dark colored top for longarm quilting

You can also use Solvy wash out stabilizer. You mark it with a water soluble marker, pin it to the surface of the quilt and quilt through it then spray the solvy away. Gina Perkes explains the method quite well with pictures in her book "Mastering the Art of Longarm quilting". While I have not personally tried this method, I plan to.
Attached Thumbnails green-batik-block.jpg