View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Iceblossom

There are definite downsides to quilting through paper.

The graphite issue is real and should be considered if using white thread! Helps to use a hard thin mechanical pencil. And the paper piecing, especially the punch method isn't so great on really complex designs although I've done it. Peeling off the paper is a process both in time and the amount of mess those little pieces of fluff can float around and create. Your thread and tension need to be very good.

In the quilt shown, while simple I really wanted consistent daisies. I can't draw them consistently much less quilt them that way so a pattern was important for me. Other times I would do a free form daisy meander with no paper, but that quilt said it wanted to be done this way..

For me it is largely an adaptive technique due to my vision issues. I have such a hard time seeing the markings anyway, I have a chance seeing them as black on white paper. Plus I typically quilt in a scrappy style with darks and lights alternating and no one marking technique seems to work as well for me as marking on paper. When I was using my friend's long arm, I still did the paper technique because although I had pantographs, her system wasn't set up to use them.

In general I prefer to freehand or use reference points in the block, but sometimes to get what I want, especially if it is any sort of picture and not just lines, I've got to use paper.

Edit: Just wanted to say I am so happy to see the wonderful work that some of our quilters do here, like Feline Fanatic among many others. The quilting process is not my strong suit, I'm getting ok on my technique but my mind just does not work in the 3D aspects, plus I seriously can't draw a straight line. I can barely draw a recognizable smiley face! I think it's part of the astigmatism issues, but whatever it is, I am just not able to draw.

You people rock and I am learning a lot about ruler work and other things that may help me in the future.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-12-2019 at 10:07 AM.