View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 AM
Libits

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Libits, What happens when the binding "is no longer perfect" for you? Is there too much binding on one side of the fold? Are there troubles at the corner folds?

Try stitching the binding onto the quilt using a 3/8 " seam allowance for 2 1/2 inch binding. Stop stitching 3/8 inch before the corner so you still have the 45 degree angle.

I stitch the binding onto the back and bring to the front. Binding is completed with machine and no hand stitching.
I have all kinds of misery when binding. I use a 2.5” strip, sew it Very carefully to the back with exactly a ¼” seam and then turn it to the front. Now this might seem crazy but binding stresses me out so much that I realized I was being way too aggressive when pulling it to the front which gave me about ¼” of binding on the back and way too much on the front. I tried to not wrap it around too tightly and this last time it worked better but I’m still not happy. As you can see from the pix below, when I flip it over, it’s inconsistent. I don’t understand what little gremlin is hiding in there that makes it wider going from back to front. It’s not that far! On the back I’m never consistent with it being on or off the fabric and gave up all hope on that long ago.

I think you have a brilliant idea of making the seam on the back larger than ¼” although I don’t have the accuracy (yet) of working in 8ths but I could do a ½.

Incredibly, I have no problems with the mitered corners. Go figure.

The dark brown fabric in the pictures I used for contrast because my countertops are light colored and you couldn’t see the binding very good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614828[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]614829[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails crooked-binding.jpg   off-rails.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-14-2019 at 05:46 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps