View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 06:46 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
In this case you have to do a true flange application or piping. With both flange and piped bindings, you have to make them and sew them on separately so you can do your mitered corners in the binding. I use my invisible zipper foot for doing the piping and it works the bomb! The piping and flanges are not mitered. I have only incorporated a flange in the body of the quilt but have done piped bindings a few times. They can be very fussy but look spectacular when done and well worth the extra effort.
Thanks FelineFanatic ... I have done it that way with a flange, and found that the flange seemed to pucker some (yes, I am finicky about it). Have never done it with a true piping. Maybe I should give that one a try sometime.

What did you use for your "cording" in the piping? I remember way back in 4-H days (so that's like a 100 yrs ago! ) that we had to get a cord then boil it to shrink before making the piping. Otherwise, what a mess when it shrunk when things were laundered. But for a quilt, we would want something softer than a hard cording. your suggestions?