View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I do it on my dining room table. I lay the pieced front down first, nothing is taped or clamped - wrong side out, then the batting and then the backing, right side up. I peel back part of the backing, drizzle the glue straight from the bottle in a grid, no smoothing with paintbrush, if there are any globs, use my finger to smooth them out. The pull up the backing and smooth it out with my hands. It is easily repositioned. Then go to the other side of the table and pull back the rest of the backing, same procedure, drizzle, and smooth the backing, adjusting if I have to. It goes very fast. I am standing up. Then, flip it over and do the same with the top. If it is a very large quilt, I pull it down to mid point, glue halfway up, smooth up, and slide down the quilt sandwich and glue and smooth the rest. Then go to other side of table and repeat. It really goes very fast. I leave it on the table to dry and then it can stay a long time before quilting. I wash out the glue, usually with a presoak. I have never broken a needle, had a needle gum up, or had a pucker anywhere. I don't iron anything. It is very easy. I think of glue basting as replacing pin basting, not spray basting and have never found the need to have it cover every inch of the quilt. The grid or squiggle I use keeps everything secured.