View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 AM
AZ Jane

I see you have many answers but I'll throw mine in anyway.

Question #1 - do you use the glue straight or do you dilute it with water?

No I do not dilute, straight from the bottle. I hold the bottle as high as my short arems will allow, It seems the higher I hold the bottle, the thinner the line of glue.

Question #2 - do you have all 3 layers down when you baste right from the start like this lady does? Or do you do it slower? (just have the backing and batting down and baste that. then when that is done you add the top and baste that?)

No I do one layer at a time. I am fortunate that I have a large kitchen island that don't have a sink or anything, just counter top. After ensuring I have enough batting and backing, I lay the batting down first, lay the back over that. Fold the half of the backing upon itself, so I see the batting, apply as thin a line of glue as possible. If there are any "globs", I smooth them out. If any of the line are not real tiny, I'll run my finger over them also, to smooth. I lay the backing, back over the binding and iron from the center that is furthest from me. Make it as smooth as I possible can. Flip around, not over, and do the other side of the backing. Smoothing the glue and ironing as I go. This may take a while if it is a large quilt. Now I "flip" the batting and backing over so the batting is up. I repeat the same procedure with the top over the batting. Pretty easy but take the time to make sure everything is smooth. Then I hang the completed quilt, over the balcony until the next day to make sure it is completely dry.

Question #3 - do you use the water bottle and iron? if so, what does that do? does it just speed up the drying? or what?

Ironing, speeds up the drying helps with the smoothing. It is too much for me if my hands must do all the smoothing. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps