View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Iona D.

Originally Posted by gillyo View Post
I worked at the Serramonte Mall store in Daly City while I was in college. It was a fun place to work but in the early 80s the selection of quilting fabrics was abysmal at best. I was sad when New York Fabrics and then Joann's bought them out because they closed down all the mall shops. It was fun to shop for fabric at the mall with my friends. Of course that was a different era. I'm sure there are still some malls with fabric stores in them but none near me.

Do any of you miss the mall fabric shops? We had Singer and House of Fabrics. There were also fabric departments in the major department stores. Those were the days!
Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Joanns in Torrance California is in the Del Amo mall. This makes it the largest (physical size) Joanns store in the country. They bought out the old Broadway (remember them?) 2 story store, closed off the escalator and leased out the upper level.
Another Southern California native here-although I was located a bit north of Torrance growing up. When I started to sew almost 50 years ago, there were a wide range of fabric stores open for business at a wide range of locations. All easy to reach around my parent's house. The quality of fabric (even the inexpensive ones) easily surpass the ones available now. I still have laundry bags from House Of Fabrics I made way back in those days still in use in my closet. I like to see if the fabrics being sold now would survive that long!

By the 1990s, most of those stores were gone. Now I only have 2 choices (Joann's & Michael Levine's) fabric stores around here. And online if I have to go there. Positively depressing.

Last edited by Iona D.; 07-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.