Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Tinker or Sew

Default White Rotary friction pulley: strange attachment?

Hello everyone,

My White Rotary friction pulley won't come off even after I remove the set screw and use WD-40 to loosen it on the shaft. There appears to be an attaching piece on the end that I don't see in images or videos of other similar machines online. (Thanks So Much to everyone who posted about theirs! I've learned a lot from Rodney and others.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615194[/ATTACH]

The context:
-- I have the correct replacement part, bought from sew-classic

-- I have removed the set screw completely

-- There is what looks to be a 2-part metal piece holding the pulley onto the shaft, something like an end cap. It does not have machining to fit a hexagonal/Allen wrench or anything. In videos of replacing similar pulleys, I saw that after removing the set screw, the pulley just slides off, with no other piece holding the pulley on. I'm not sure if this was something retro-fit onto my machine, or what. Any suggestions??

-- I've used WD-40 to attempt to loosen things up. There is some give of the shaft, but the pulley doesn't pull off and I can't get anything between the pulley and that 'extra' end piece.

Machine info:
Black crinkle finish
Serial 1x22384 (From this page, White made the black crinkle embossed machines starting with 1x990 in 1929:
http://www.treadleon.net/WhiteSM/whites.html This machine appears to pre-date some more common FR models, as also suggested by the fact that it doesn't seem to have a reverse stitch option, but it does have the spring-loaded motor making it easier to work on.)
Motor #: 497137

Thank you!

Tiffany

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615195[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615196[/ATTACH]
Spring-attached motor (you can see the purple pen I've got holding the motor out away from the machine)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615197[/ATTACH]
Set screw removed, pulley still stuck on...
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary-friction-pulley.jpg   white-rotary-1x.jpg   white-rotary-motor.jpg   white-rotary-pulley-without-set-screw.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-24-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps