View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 AM
IrishMom

Good Morning Owls!! My fabric is in the washing machine right now and I hope to get it cut, pictures taken, and in the mail by tomorrow.

I'm one of the four newbies to the Boom. (I'm assuming it's name came from the word Boomerang? Since the fabric comes back to you. Or is it cause, BOOM, you have all the blocks for a quilt!) I have two daughters, one in grad school the other in college. I took a sewing class when the youngest was in preschool. I made my girls matching dresses which they had the nerve to outgrow! That's when I decided my sewing would be spent on items which lasted longer than one season. I was then able to make a quilt a year for a new niece or nephew. I did a mystery class and made a cool Halloween wall hanging. When my girls started graduating from High School I became the queen of Tee Shirt quilts. And that was the time when I realized I had been quilting for over 10 years, didn't really know as much as I felt I should, and had hardly anything made for myself! So I joined these boards, had more time to do "me" stuff with the girls at college, upgraded the sewing machine, and started having fun! I now have in my house several lap quilts, a twin quilt, and a queen size quilt. In addition I've been able to make quite a few gifts as well. I've done a few swaps here - Summer Blocks, twice I did the RWB swap, 9-patch, and I am part of the Birthday swap. GramE and I were chatting about a pattern and she strongly suggested I do a Boom. I am currently finishing a 3 foot square wall hanging for my daughter in college - she wanted her dorm's logo on it, so I've been having fun with applique!

I'm rather jealous of Libster, SuziSew, Vickim, PamOry, and mjpEncinitas for learning and sewing with their family. My mom is very modern and my quilting confuses her -- she tries to be complementary but just looks confused. When she saw my queen size 9-patch quilt her main comment was "wow, that's a lot of tiny fabric"

Kassaundra - my family is huge Dr Who fans. We went to Chicago Tardis two years in a row when the girls were in high school. My house is filled with sonic screwdrivers, Tardises (how do you make Tardis plural?), fezes, scarves, bow ties, and a dalek costume! I will admit to knowing a little bit, but I have the least knowledge in my family. Later I will try and remember to take a picture of my 9-Patch quilt...one of the blocks is Dr Who fabric!

And SuziSew - we might have been separated at birth! I am also an accountant and live only an hour 15 minutes away from Shipshewana and get there more times than my pocketbook says I should! This year was my first year at the Quilt festival and I did the School House classes.

I am also a huge Notre Dame fan and get very excited for football and women's basketball. Both my daughters were/are in the Marching Band so the fall is a fun season for us!

Thanks all for letting me join your group -- I'm so happy we have Hero Host Janice to guide us!