View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 AM
juliasb

My whole professional career was dedicated to Older Adults. At 16 I began working as a NA in a nursing home. I did that thru my early collage years. I stopped working to raise a family. I went back to school to complete a bachelors in Mental Health in Aging and as a Activity Therapist. I completed a bachelors not only in these two fields but as a social worker and Gerontologist. I had collected enough credit hours in all these fields over a lifetime and working in various nursing home for the majority of the time. I ventured out a few times from the nursing homes and loved doing so many thing with Senior Center and in Community development groups. I also did grant writing for both nursing homes and Community centers. My career was cut short in my late 30's because of severe asthma and a hereditary illness. I continue to help where ever I can as a volunteer for senior issues. I am a lot slower than I use to be and rarely mention my credentials anymore or my educational background. I do not want to be taken advantage of where I get stressed out. Even in my quilt guild I have not mentioned my background (especially in activities). I have taken on with another woman our educational programing and will lay low while accomplishing our goals.

Your work with older adult is greatly appreciated even when now we may be considered older adults. Thank you.
I am still sought out for advice on many topics and have been asked to come back even part time to help in many areas. At first, and for many years, I thought I would someday be able to return to work. As the years went forward I realized I could not return to work if for no other reason that I was a fall risk. I love it though when someone I knew years ago still calls and ask how to help another senior to get a particular service that person may need. Thank you again.\