Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM
nanna-up-north

As you are looking, there's a couple of things I would suggest.

1. Make sure you get a large enough frame to do the size quilts you want to do. My frame is big enough to do a queen sized quilt but not an inch larger. It limits me sometimes.

2. My machine, being used, has some limitations. Do look for one that has true regulated stitching. Mine doesn't stop exactly when I stop. And, it races when I start. You don't want that. It's a 2008 model and things have been updated tons since then.

3. Try out several brands and get one that glides very smoothly. You want it to feel effortless.

4. Do research on the companies that will help you out when you need it and stand behind their product. Our local quilt guild bought a brand new Tin Lizzie. It's never worked properly and the company only wants to charge more and more to look at it. Check those things out.

You are in the perfect place to buy a good machine. I know that Handi Quilter is in Utah and I can vouch for them. They sure have helped me on the used machine I bought. It's 11 years old now but still does a good job for what I have in it. I'd like to buy a new one with more features but can't do that right now. But, it works well for me and I'm happy with the quilts I finish up on it.

I'm so happy for you starting on this new adventure. There's a learning curve!! Can't wait to see what you decide on.