View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 PM
FWLover

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Most people are not aware of the cost of fabric or the amount of time something like that requires. Some people are aware and are willing to pay a reasonable amount, but in my experience most people back out just at the cost of the materials (interfacing, batting, backing, binding, thread, any quilting stencils or supplies) much less add anything for your time and expertise.

So figure out a materials list and price it out. Then decide what is it worth it to you to make it. You might want to donate some of your effort in honor of your friend but you certainly don't have to. It may sound bad but I don't want to work for other people any more. There have been other times in my life when I was more willing to work/quilt for hire. Me, when I'm asked now I estimate my time as $15/hour and that a pretty good quilt takes at least a month of full time work after all, I figure I'm worth at least minimum wage in the Seattle area. So far no one has gone further in negotiations

That all being said, while I don't work for cheap I give freely and quilt a lot of gifts and donations because that is worth it to me on my schedule and my whims of what I want to do and when.

I get asked to do a lot of things I just don't do, whether it is something as simple as hemming a skirt or more complex like covering a couch. Yeah, I can and have done both, but not in about 30-40 years! So I've gotten pretty good at just saying no and explaining that I would not be able to do a quality job for them. Some come back and say something like it can be sub-standard, but no, not for me that's not the way workmanship works!
Great Answer. I did this once for a friend. I took her to the quilt store to buy the additional fabric and supplies needed. She gladly paid for them. I wanted to do this for her so I happily agreed to less than minimum wage. But in no way did I receive true worth for the time spent. People think that because you enjoy doing it you should not receive adequate compensation for your time. Doctors and lawyers enjoy their work but you do not see anyone expecting them to work for next to nothing. We spend time and money learning our craft and acquiring the tools to do it well also.