View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 07:12 PM
wesing

Default How I machine bind part 2

OK so I have felt badly that I forgot to take pictures of tacking down the binding to the front of the quilt when I did my first binding tutorial: How I machine bind

I was binding a quilt for myself tonight and decided to make that right. Before I start let me just say that I have never entered a quilt in a show, but I understand most judges would take me to task for binding this way. My quilts are not made for entering in a show. I want the binding to cover the open edge of the quilt, be durable, and look similar in quality to the rest of the quilt. I don't hand sew anything for any reason. If I did, I doubt it would look as good as my machine bindings or be as durable. Besides all that, I didn't pay thousands of dollars for sewing machines so I could sew things by hand.

Here is the quilt with the binding attached to the back. I start on the back because I will finish on the front and I can watch my stitches and keep them placed where I want them. If I have some inconsistency in my seam, it will show up on the back but the front will still look nice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615548[/ATTACH]
I press the binding away from the back of the quilt. This seems to help keep me from having tucks or gaps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615549[/ATTACH]
Here are a couple of pictures showing the measurements that I use. I started with a 2.5" binding strip.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615551[/ATTACH]
This next shot is from the front of the quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615552[/ATTACH]

I start at the bottom of the quilt near a corner. I carefully roll the binding over and place it on the front. I generally only work on a section the same size as the width of my machine bed. I also included a shot with the measurement of the seam allowance.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615554[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615555[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615556[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1135.jpg   img_1136.jpg   img_1137.jpg   img_1138.jpg   img_1139.jpg  

img_1140.jpg   img_1141.jpg   img_1142.jpg