Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 05:10 AM
tranum

Talk to church council about getting into the budget next year. Even a small amount helps.
Announce the quilt group in your newsletter so it’s known you accept donated fabric, thread, crochet thread for tying, cotton men’s shirts, helpers, sewing supplies, even money. Possibly hold a soup supper to raise funds and instead of setting a price, have a free will offering. People are generous.

Hauling sewing machines can be a hassle - so my home church ladies make their tops at home & every Spring they bring tops to church (and a few machines) and they tie and finish the edges. They work 2 days and they’re done. The ladies that don’t sew buy sheets on sale during the year to use as top & bottom to make a comforter/quilt. Food is a potluck. It’s a fun 2 days.

They put 2 folding tables together on bed risers (or gallon cans) and use clamps to hold the quilt for tying. I know another church who sets up a quilting frame and ties their quilts using that. I’d rather use tables for donation quilts.

My friend at another church rotary cuts all the squares for her church 8.5”. She assembles a kit in a plastic bag for the sewers to pick up and take home.

Good of luck and let know your progress.