Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 AM
juliasb

I have donated about 200 yards of fabric to a group at a church that does cancer patient quilts. They have a very active group in their church that do all the work. They actively seek out donations from various stores like JAF. they are able to use the church's 501c3 certificate so they can accept such donations for the church and provide a receipt for tax deductions purposes. I ask a lot of questions about their group. I had 3 women come to my home and raid my stash for pieces that would work for their charity quilting. They were more than tickled to walk out with so much fabric! It was all my pleasure.
Their group consisted of 5-10 people that met every 2 months on a Saturday and they made as many lap quilts as they could. They used the same pattern for all the quilts and worked together to get maybe 20 quilts done in the day. She said it depended on the number of people that showed up. They also listed the sewing day in their church bulletin for a couple weeks in advanced and made an announcement of the upcoming event. They told me that doing their 'sew for cancer victims' they got better participation doing it ever 2 months. They also made sure that they informed LQS and JAF of their mission. That is how I found them. LQS gave me a name and number to call to donate fabric and I got the call back and the connection. I hope this helps you a bit.