Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Daylesewblessed

For years I have been doing charity quilts on my own or with other groups. One Sunday a shy friend at church said she needed a group to be involved with at church. I told her I was wanting to start a sewing group, so the two of us tied a few quilts that I had put together. Then we added 2 more people, and then 2 more. I talked to the pastor about it and he was somewhat encouraging, but the problem was and still is that there is no space during the week in the church building for us to meet (we have a pre-school and day care ministry). We meet in the sanctuary once/month, pushing chairs forward and hauling in tables. There are 2 electrical outlets!

We named ourselves "Loose Threads of Hope Lutheran". We do a variety of sewing projects. Our two main ones are Lutheran World Relief quilts (mostly tied) and Days for Girls feminine hygiene kits for overseas. After 18 months our average attendance is now 10 people. Since we seldom sew at our monthly sessions; I bring a big plastic tub to the fellowship hall every Sunday with "homework". Several people in the group do not sew, but they do other things. It has become a place where ladies "belong" and meaningfully contribute in a church that has its main focus on children.

We developed a mission statement, and I made a list of operational guidelines. Communication is so important - both with the "powers/church leadership/pastors" and within the group. Supplies are not a problem. Prayer and teamwork are solutions. Although not required, I believe in accountability and submitted a report at the end of the year to the church board. I think that has given us respect as a viable and producing group.

My challenges are the space issue, storing stuff at home and members' homes, hauling things, and doing quality control without hurting peoples' feelings.

It continues to be very rewarding!