View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 04:33 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I agree with CKcowl that the fabric and thread can also impact shrinkage. You will get a lot of crinkle if you don't prewash/preshrink your fabric too. Also, I have found that custom quilting can sometimes tame the shrinkage wrinkling, provided it is dense enough. Like SITD around all the applique and quilting within the applique as well. Dense background quilting helps. E2E designs always seem to pucker more for me. Here is an example of what I am talking about. In this all flannel quilt, all the fabrics were prewashed in hot water and dried on high heat. The batting, which is wool, was not prewashed. But I quilted densely in the background cream areas. You can see where the quilting is more open is where I got the most pucker, inside the deer applique, the windows in the house. I washed the quilt to remove my marks and let it tumble in a low heat dryer until it was just damp then let it air dry flat.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615814[/ATTACH]

Below is a link to Sue Garman's blog where she talks about preshrinking her batting and she does it with every batting, even poly. I don't preshrink battings. For show quilts I do a final wash in cold water and then block the quilt dry and have never noticed any puckering.

For quilts being gifted, I usually include a note or explain in person that the quilt has been washed after completion to remove any glue, starch, and any soiling that may have happened during construction. It is completely safe for the recipient to machine wash and dry and it won't change the appearance. I have read many sad tales of people who gifted a quilt and the first time the recipient washed it thought they had ruined the quilt and hid it away for fear the maker would see it in its post wash puckered state. I would prefer the giftee know what the quilt is going to look like after it is washed and dried and want to gift a clean quilt.

http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2013/03/

Edited to add, your quilt is super cute! I don't think the puckering/wrinkling is bad at all. Yes it is obvious but IMHO does not detract from the cute quilt.
Attached Thumbnails christmas-wishes-deer-detail.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-08-2019 at 04:36 AM.