View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM
juliasb

Default sewing with FW for the first time

The new cord, bobbins and belt came today and so I got busy and installed everything that came. Wound up a couple bobbins and went to town.
The machine is nice and quiet and it sews!! I was thrilled to death! It was a bit tricky at first to get the bobbin in correctly. I even managed to get one in backwards once. I took care of that in short order-.
I then started on adjusting the tension. I was/is still off a bit. The stitching is pretty even, that part of the tension is good. However it is skipping a stitch every once in a while. I am not sure how to correct this. I changed needles and oiled every part in the manual from the motor to the bobbin case and every thing underneath. I see no rust at all. I also cleaned every surface and part as best as I could getting years of heavy lint out of it including a spider's nest. I am pretty sure I have it threaded correctly too. It is the only machine that I have that threads this way from the inside to the out at the needle.
I found a couple of cosmetic areas that the plastics were chipped. I suppose that was to be expected with a machine this age (1949) and plastics would be getting brittle about now. I know little to nothing about the history of the machine either.
I was just glad that I was able to get the cables and wiring done well. It was not a big challenge at all.
Again if anyone can enlighten me on how to fix some of the skipping stitches on this FW I would greatly appreciate it.