View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 01:16 PM
PiedPiper

Default Question about sewing layers in applique

I don't post often but I read pretty much daily and have learned so much from you amazingly talented people! So when I need help I know where to turn.

I am tackling a fun applique project, "Hen Party" https://www.fatcatpatterns.com/bom4.html at the moment. I haven't done applique with quite the complexity of layers as this one before, and I have a question I hope you wise people can help me with.

I'm using fusible applique and wanting to machine a light zig-zag or blanket stitch around the edges. (Haven't quite made up my mind, yet!) However, I'm wondering how to handle the stitching around shapes that will be covered partially by smaller shapes in the next layer. Do I fuse everything down and then stitch where shapes are still visible (lots of stop-start stitching could be required), or do I fuse and sew layer by layer, with the chance that the sewing of a lower layer will show through under the next layer?

As an example, the first (top left) block in the quilt linked above. I've fused the box and the chicken bodies down (and the tails) and I'm wondering whether I should sew around the box now - even though the sewing might show through under the straw that goes down next - or do I just go ahead and fuse the straw, and then sew the edges of box that still peek out? I'm thinking that could be pretty tricky to do, with the odd little shapes and gaps between the straws.

Sorry for a long-winded question! And thanks for any tips!