View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Macybaby

I've found with my LA - if I have the bottom tension set correctly (and I use a gauge) and it seems that no matter how tight I put the top tension it's still showing on the bottom - -I have my quilt too tight on the frame and need to loosen it a click or two.

I've learned to run my finger along the bottom, and if I feel the top thread, then I need to adjust. I learned from watch videos that the top thread will sink down just a hair when the quilt is off the frame.

The main thing you want to avoid is having the thread laying on one side or the other. If it's like this, one break and you can pull the thread right out of the loops. As long as there is some indent on both the top and the bottom it's not so bad.

I started paying a lot of attention to other quilts done on LA by demonstrators, and have found most of them have "OK" tension, and have seen plenty of display items that have tension I wouldn't consider "acceptable" so I've gotten a lot more forgiving and no longer try to get the tension as perfect as I get it on my regular sewing machines.