View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Iceblossom

Thanks, Lisa. The size of the Postcards is an actual small postcard size. Obviously I had planned on this some time ago and started sorting my stash and collecting pictures from friends and buying fabric.

I say I like quilts that are "simple but effective" and I think this works This quilt is one that I will keep, I realized a few years back that although I quilted all the time, all of my own blankets were getting worn and ratty. So I decided to go ahead and do some quilts for me, the end goal will be one theme quilt for each month of the year. I have a closet shelf big enough to store them all. This one will be June/Vacation. I have February, May, July, and October finished. March, April, September, November and now June will be completed tops. August, my Barn/Harvest quilt is the one I need to do the paper piecing for. January and a new December (I have one that I decided was not worthy) have designs chosen and fabrics selected but not yet kitted out.

When my friend gave me the Bernina, I decided to start sewing on it to use its features and I had just gotten enough fabrics to make the blocks. So I've done a couple of projects using partial seams and the thread cutter. LOL, sounds like a small amount of technology compared to what this "sewing computer" can do, but I've been using vintage machines for the last 30 or so years, and the last modern machine I had was cams just before they became computerized. The sashing is just a straight seam, I thought for awhile whether or not to sew strips and miter on the sashing at the same time as the basic attic window and decided not to. That was good because typically where the blocks didn't work well it was towards the miter so I could fix it in the seam allowance.

My goal is once each of these quilts are done that I will purge the related fabrics. About half the tops are what I call "planned" or limited particular fabrics, but most are scrappy collections so that I have reminders of my various projects and pieces.

I did put a notice in the Offers section for (free) Location Fabrics. If anyone needs/wants something you see, let me know. A lot of the pieces I used are cut right smack dab in the middle of a fat quarter, but some are pieces of yardage from thrift stores where I had to buy the whole piece, some were little pieces given to me so I don't have anything left. I'd need to know what size you need, and it can help if I know what you are using it for because some are quite large scale, so while some could be cut well into a 3" square, not all would work.