Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 AM
LadyAg

Hi Pagzz,

There were many very lovely (and quite fantastic!) quilts at the show. When I said I didn't find inspiration there, it is strictly a personal preference issue. I love reproduction applique quilts from the 1840-1880s. I did not go to the show expecting to see anything in this regard, as it is such a small niche, but I had hoped to see some grid work or channel quilting.

There were many equivalent quilting motifs from this early time period that can now be quilted free motion- feathers, wreaths, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, my quilting is "new", but my body is not, so I don't know whether I will have the physical capacity in my hands by the time I am ready to free motion.

I had hoped, however, to see some grid work, or channel quilting, or something similar that I could put into use at this stage of my ability. There were a few quilts that I saw that were walking foot quilted, but the ones I saw were very simply done. I may have missed some great ones, though!

Therefore, the heavily quilted free motion quilts did not "inspire me". I certainly don't begrudge anyone this amazing talent, but that was 95% of what was shown. This is the reason I do not plan to return in the future.

Happy threads!

Last edited by LadyAg; 08-13-2019 at 06:59 AM.