View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 AM
Sephie

Before I knew I was "supposed" to use a "better" thread, I was using Maxi-Lock because it was $1 and a huge cone of it and Coats and Clark machine quilting thread, and those first quilts have never had stitches break. I can't snap a piece of Maxi-Lock by pulling on it.

When I bought my first cones and spools of Aurifil and tried machine quilting with it, I was constantly breaking thread and couldn't figure out why. Turns out it's great for piecing because it's a 50wt 2ply thread so it's very very thin. So much thinner than the Coats and Maxi that it's crazy easy for me to snap a piece of Aurifil by tugging it. I hear quilting stitches snap when I tuck my kids into bed in the more recent quilts that have been quilted with it.

The Coats machine quilting thread I have is 30wt. No idea what the Maxi-Lock is since it's marked as an all-purpose thread and I know many use it for serging. The lower the number for weight, the thicker the thread. But the number of plies for the thread varies as well. So I think many like Aurifil because it's thinner so you don't lose as much fabric to your seam allowance. I don't use it for actual machine quilting anymore because it's just ugh. I know many people love it too because it lints less and yes, when I look at a strand of it, there are less fuzzies than when I look at a different brand. But I use ConnectingThreads essential cotton too because while it's also a 50wt, it's a 3ply, and much cheaper! I've gone back to using Maxi for quilting if it's the right color, Connecting Threads for quilting or piecing, and basically whatever I have that I want to use up.

Aurifil for quilting - I go much slower when I quilt with it so there isn't as much breakage during the quilting. I still don't like hearing stitches snap when the quilt is being used so when I finish these cones, I'm unlikely to purchase more. My kids are 2 and 4, so we're rough on quilts. Your mileage may vary Use what you want and what you can live with.