View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I suspect most of these bloggers are using the aurifil for piecing, not for quilting. I would not use aurifil for quilting but I love it for piecing in the top and I use So Fine in the bobbin. I like using lots of different types of threads for quilting, depending on the look I am going for. My thread addiction is just as bad as my fabric addiction but I quilt on a LA and I always treat the quilting as another design element on the quilt, not just something to hold the layers together so I suspect I am fussier about thread than most. It is not uncommon for me to use 3 or 4 different types and brands of thread on a single quilt. I may use a monofilament to do all the ditchwork, a 40 wt poly for the motif quilting and a 100 wt to do background fills or areas where I really don't want the thread to show but just the texture all of this with yet a different thread in the bobbin (usually a 60 wt poly). In addition to the different thread types I will also use multiple colors.
I highly recommend Diane Gaudynski's book "Guide to Machine Quilting". She explains how different threads will give you different looks with lots of close up pics. You can pick it up used on Amazon for less than $6 plus shipping. Definitely worth it.