View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Iceblossom

Blocks finish at 8". So in finished sizes, the large squares are 6" with 1" sashing, and the small squares are 4" with 2" sashing. Be pretty easy to do as a 10" block too.

I do this as strip piecing, so in my case I had strips of the green and blue which were cut at 2.5" x WoF, those are in the "middle" on either side of the 4" center. Then I have two rectangle strips pieced, cut at 4.5" and then subcut into the 2.5" width. Of course my 2.5" ruler decided to take a break on me... couldn't find it but still did pretty good cuts. It doesn't cut down ideally in this size, that's why I still had enough to make another row if I wanted.

Decided to go with it as planned, have the columns sewn together and am pinning on the inside border. Looks like I can have a 6" border if I want, 4" works too.

I haven't used the serpentine stitch on my new machine yet, I think this project would be good for it when I go to quilt it down. Those curvy stripes in the jelly beans (or whatever they are) weren't going to randomize so I decided not to fussy cut and put the lines going one way with the big squares and the other way with the little squares.