Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Bernadette Harwood

Hi, I'm sooo busy don't always reply like I would like too. I would love to chat with you all all the time but just don't have the time.
I have been teaching beginners sewing and quilting for 4 years through Jo Ann Fabrics and just left last summer to teach at home. I love it and the students love the homey atmosphere. I set up my daughters bedroom into a classroom and then we also use my sewing room across the hall and through our bedroom for ironing and cutting. I was nervous at first as I wasn't sure how my students would feel going through my home to get upstairs but it has worked out quite well. Stick to word of mouth only and I will not teach men in my home alone for both of our sakes and reputation. I limit my class to 3 but usually there is one or two as someone has something else come up. More than 2-3 is just too hard as I want them to get their moneys worth and it is too tiring for more. I teach them once a week for 2 hours for $15.00. I let them stay a little longer at my choice. Some people will try to tell you when they will come and want to stop by any time of the day and you need to set the rules and stick by them. If it is convenient you can say yes if not offer a time that is good for you and your family. I'm a softy and can get runned over easily but I'm learning to stick to what is good for my family. One lady keeps trying to get me to start afternoon classes and I can't as I still need time to do my sewing, housework and whatever I want.
I have all the supplies they need, pins, scissors, needles, seam ripper etc. They supply thread, fabric and notions. I have machines for everyone or they can bring their own. I asked for $1.00 rent for my machines to go towards repairs and only one student was paying me that so I think come fall I'm just raising the price to $16 for everyone whether they use mine or theirs. My repair bill for my 2 embroidery machines and serger was over $400.00. I have 6 classes a week, Tues. and Thurs. evening , Thurs and Fri. morning all for adults and then on Sat. during the school year I have 2 sat. classes for girls and teens. Also I think it is best not to have mother and daughter to come together unless they are older as kids rather listen to parents and or they don't get along so you get to hear them constantly bicker, not obey or whatever. Best to have them separate. I take Sat. off for the summer!!! to spend with family. Most of my students quilt. I have made my own patterns and or they can make whatever they want and I walk them thru the project.
I also have an Ebay store I started last month, going slow but going fine along with sewing and making alterations for people so I need Mon - Wed. to do my own things. One of these days I'll get a few of my pictures posted for you all to see. I have a couple of patterns I want to get on paper and sell on Ebay as soon as I get a chance to check them out. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer. Stick to word of mouth and put all valuables away. Enjoy the classes, you won't get rich but nothing like seeing a students finished quilt or a new sewer finally learn to sew straight. Another tip is to have someone make table leg extenders to have a table up high for cutting. saves the back. I have rattled on long enough feel free to ask questions, I'll be happy to try to help you. :roll: Bernadette