View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 AM
mea12

I believe only the Jem Gold models are still available in new. They do make an excellent class/back-up/toter machine but they are so very basic that its easy to miss needle up/down and you can't move needle. The few stitches are fixed..meaning you can't adjust length or width. Having said that..the quality is exceptional and that little Jem actually has a 1 amp motor! So the really stand-out features are its durability, bit more power and the fixed stitches are perfect, though few. The hook area is solid as a rock and i don't see any plastic there like what we see now even on much pricier machines in all brands. With so many quilters now very accustomed to auto cutters and start/stop, variable needle, you have to be aware of what you're NOT getting if the Jem appeals to you. I have one and like it very much - she pieces like a dream with the clearview 1/4" foot! I don't need more than a reliable straight stitch for any classes i take. I have other machines w/ computerized features and love those too but simplicity sometimes is refreshing also especially when the quality is there and the stitch is perfect!