View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 AM
TransportGal

Default Hello from Kentucky!

Hi everyone!

I have already made a couple of posts because I had technical questions about a few vintage sewing machines that I picked up over the weekend but I realized that I forgot to introduce myself.

My name is TransportGal, AKA Meg. I am 33 and I live in central Kentucky. My screen name comes from the fact that I was a truck driver before I married my husband and the Air Force sent us to South Korea and the fact that I just earned a BA in Transportation and Logistics Management. I am currently working on a dual MBA/Master of Science in Accounting but I have found the fabric arts both quilting and apparel sewing to be a great stress reliever from the rigors of graduate school.

I am also interested in learning how to fix both contemporary and vintage sewing machines. I have Asperger's Syndrome so I tend to learn a lot very fast about whatever I am interested in. I am a very enthusiastic learner so I am probably going to be asking a lot of questions about quilting and repairing vintage machines.

I am trying to make my first quilt, a nine patch quilt from discounted 4th of July fat quarters that I found at Walmart last month. I basically cut a bunch of 4.5 inch blocks and sewed them into 9 patch blocks. I am almost done with the blocks. My main machine is a Janome New Home 8050 but I am going to try to do some of the work on one of the two working vintage machines that I picked up this weekend. I want to try a simple Bargello quilt after I am finished with the nine patch. I love bright colors so the Bargello's really caught my eye the first time that I saw one.

I am also interested in the history of sewing machines and the quilting and apparel arts. I stayed up all night to finish a midterm assignment for one of my courses and I ended up going down a rabbit hole of research about post World War 2 Japanese made sewing machines in the wee hours of the morning today. I am also a business/industry history buff and one of my dreams is to write a book about the history of sewing machine manufacturing. I actually used the brand life cycle of the Spartan by Singer in my marketing course midterm essay as an example last night.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps