View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 04:49 AM
nanna-up-north

I'm not the best person to ask about hand quilting because I've only done maybe 5 full sized quilts by hand. I love hand quilting and have tried W&N, as well as a thin poly blend. My stitches using the W&N tend to be larger because the bulk of the batting plus top and backing makes it very hard to rock the needle back up when you make each stitch. My stitches wouldn't come out as small and even. When I used the thin poly blend I didn't have those problems. Without the bulk, I could get small even stitches and that's the look I wanted. I've not tried wool but for my next hand quilted project, I do think I'll give it a try. Either wool or silk have such a glorious soft feel. I don't think there would be any problem getting those tiny even stitches that I love.

You have to consider the quilting frame you use as well. I try to always use my quilting frame. It's an antique home made one with wooden gears. The quilt can be loaded and then you have to manipulate your stitching according to direction. With a hoop, you can turn the hoop around to stitch front to back or left to right, etc. But I don't like a hoop because I don't get the taught, flatness that I get using the frame. If the quilt is stretched too tightly, you can't rock your needle to get the best stitches. If it's too loose, you're not getting the smoothness I really like.

Do let us know what you decide on. You're now in the mix of hand quilters that will have more experience than many out there. Hand quilting is still my absolute favorite if I only had more time or was faster at it. I just can't hand quilt every project I do. Good luck.