Thread: Applique??
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 09:04 PM
ThreadHead

Default butterfly quilt

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
I was going through some of my bigger fabrics today, still making room for the new sewing machine and just doing some general organizing and I came across this piece.

I have a great-niece that just turned 1yr. just this past week, her mama has dubbed her 'The Rainbow Baby', so everything in her nursery is rainbow colored. When I saw this piece, my thoughts immediately went to the baby, but could use some ideas.

The fabric is like very thin denim, it's heavier than most of the fabrics I use to quilt with, I don't even know when I picked this up or even why. My thinking is to cut out the individual butterflies and applique them onto a lap quilt, maybe with some pinwheels in sky blue, pink and light purple with the butterflies dispersed across the blocks, maybe have a corner with three or four?? I saw a baby quilt recently somewhere online where the background was colorful polka-dots on white, so thinking maybe that background?

Quilt as I go using a meander pattern so it looks like lazy flight patterns??

Any thoughts, ladies?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616884[/ATTACH]
I am getting ready to make another butterfly quilt, but this time i will Not do any raw edges. I will turn them all before sewing down. love butterfly quilts. Sylvia

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps