View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
.............Edited to add, I would love to see a closeup picture of any of your flannel batted quilts. I am curious as to how the quilting shows on one of these and how they hold up to washing and don't become totally wrinkled.
FelineF ... I have used flannel for a few quilts and runners. When I do, I hot wash/dry it several times to get the shrinking dealt with. The quilting shows fine, but with so little loft, there is not much "poof". The quilts have a nice hand to them, almost soft and snuggly when wrapped around oneself. For washing, just into the washer/dryer and it's good to go. Surprisingly they do not seem to get wrinkly, and almost look as though they have been pressed ... but not!

Libits .... The best thing to do would be to give it all a try and see what you think. Maybe try something smaller than a full-on quilt, as that way, if you are not happy with the results, then you haven't had a big loss.

About joining flannel for batting .... like already said, I too would be very hesitant to use seams, as the bulk would create bumps in the finished quilt. Perhaps laying two pieces side-by-side with no overlap and then wide zig-zag to join them together, may work?

Quilting ... Mine are all loosely quilted, but still probably 4-6". Any larger, I would think could potentially allow for shifting of the layers to happen. Taking that a bit further, I would think that might be where a wrinkly mess may result.