View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 PM
peaceandjoy

I was turned off at the very beginning when she said that you need to either prewash all, or not at all. I do not prewash, unless required for a swap, and I don't do a lot of swaps. Still, those fabrics from swaps may be washed, and get used with my unwashed stash fabrics. In addition, I'm currently doing a Bonnie Hunter project that uses mens shirts. All were purchased at thrift or Goodwill stores, but some still had the tags on when I brought them home. Either way, they went into the washer on a sanitize cycle - super hot. They are mixed with shirting fabrics that are not prewashed. Bonnie has addressed this several times; she is given fabric, uses scraps, upcycled fabrics, etc. - so has a mix of washed and unwashed.

I have had only one fabric ever bleed (a red, of course), but it did wash out in a 2nd cycle. I've never used color catchers or anything else. I do like the crinkles (yes, crinklefication should be a word!), and the bit of puffiness that unwashed fabrics give me in my quilts.

I will say that I was impressed that she had the nerves to wash a flimsy! Even though the pieces were pretty large, I thought that might lead to a disaster. I once had a flimsy that DD's cat had used as a bed and was covered in fur; I struggled for years, literally, trying to decide what to do about it before I finally put it in the wash - and there was fraying of those seams.

My quilts are generally quite large, so if they shrink, meh. Interesting video, but not changing my mind, lol.