View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM
origamigoldfish

I work in a supermarket deli; all of our lunchmeat and cheeses are gluten free, but marketed in different ways.

the name brand hams and turkeys come in with the name of the company and 99% fat free and gluten free already printed on the wrapper. the gluten free part is about the size of my house key.

the store brand hams and turkeys come in with a plain clear wrapper. Interestingly, they are also a name brand meat, just seasoned to our chain's individual specifications. We have a big roll of stickers with our store name on it, plus the words gluten free. the sticker is about the size of my hand. We don't have always have the stickers to put on the store brand meats, but you would be surprised at how many more customers buy the store brand 'because it's gluten free' when we have and use them. these are the same customers who refuse to buy anything but the name brand lunchmeats when we don't use the giant gluten free store brand stickers.

I am not sure how many people are very educated about what gluten-free is by their buying habits. I think they mostly know that there is a diet thing going around about gluten, and it is a snap decision to be a little more healthy. I only have a handful of customers with actual gluten allergies, and they always make sure to educate themselves on how we slice and handle our products before they buy anything. In fact, I have one customer who is so sensitive to gluten they cannot buy our lunchmeats because we share prep areas and a kitchen with the bakery, and don't have separate sinks, etcs.